Sheriff Arnott: Jim Arnott is a 30 year veteran of the Greene County Sheriff’s Office. During his tenure with the Sheriff’s Office he has worked in all aspects of the patrol division and in various detective units. While working in this capacity, he was the lead detective on multiple homicide and high profile investigations. As a detective he was promoted to Detective Sergeant, Detective Lieutenant, and finally to Detective Captain. In 2006 he was promoted to the position of Chief Deputy by former Sheriff Jack Merritt.
As a member of the Greene County Sheriff’s Office, he has accumulated a long list of specialized education and training in law enforcement, investigations, weapons and tactics. Sheriff Arnott is a certified instructor for the State of Missouri and teaches at Drury University Law Enforcement Academy. His most notable accomplishments include a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Administration and the first deputy from the Greene County Sheriff’s Office to attend and graduate from the F.B.I. National Academy. Only 1% of law enforcement officers are able to attend and graduate from this elite academy.
Jim has continued to serve as a dedicated community volunteer and crime victim advocate. Jim and his wife, Jennifer, have two children.
Jim is and has been dedicated to the citizens of Greene County. The Greene County Sheriff’s Office is where he started his career and continues serving the organization and its community. In November 2008, he was first elected to serve as the Sheriff of Greene County Missouri and was re-elected in 2012 and 2016. Sheriff Arnott's responsibilities include but are not limited to the patrol of Greene County's unincorporated areas, the patrol of County roads and highways, inmate housing, serving of civil process, investigation of crimes and courtroom security.
Unlike the municipal law enforcement agencies, the Sheriff has jurisdiction in all areas of the County including the cities within Greene County. The Greene County Sheriff's Office has an operating budget of over 26 million dollars and employs 350 full time personnel with 46 Reserves and over 200 Citizen Volunteers. The jail houses an average daily inmate population of 700. The Sheriff’s Office oversees protection of 670 square miles, with a population of 288,072 citizens and is the largest Sheriff’s Office in the state of Missouri.
As a member of the Greene County Sheriff's Office, Sheriff Arnott has accumulated a long list of specialized education and training in law enforcement, investigations, weapons and tactics.
Sheriff Arnott's accomplishments during his tenure include but are not limited to:
* Forming the Citizens on Patrol (COPS), an all-volunteer group of citizens that aid the GCSO in many different areas
* Formation of the K-9 unit employing 3 deputies with K9 partners
* Adding additional resources to the US Marshal Fugitive Task Force, FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force, Secret Service, BATFE and DEA
* Being instrumental in the forming of the Sheriff's Posse of Greene County, a nonprofit organization, and an all-volunteer group that teaches horsemanship and supports the GCSO in its’ endeavors
* Obtaining specialty vehicles such as the state of the art Crime Scene Unit, Sheriff's Mobile Command Post, an UTV and Military specialty vehicles all of which were funded through grants, seized drug money or donations
* Forming of GCSO SWAT team to respond to barricaded subjects, hostage situations, perform high risk entries and perform arrests of violent offenders
* Formation of Sheriff’s Critical Incident Team; a collaborative formation of Greene, Lawrence and Webster County Sheriff’s Office Investigation Team for critical incidents such as officer involved shootings
* Instrumental in obtaining a grant that provides the GCSO with two Deputies focused on DWI enforcement
* Enhancing the Neighborhood watch program
* Keeping the DARE program active with no tax payer funding
* National Commission on Correctional Health Care Accreditation for the Medical Department. The only Sheriff run jail in Missouri to accomplish this accreditation.
* Division Captain rotation program – Promotes cross training and brings new ideas and methods to the divisions
* Honored multiple times as Patriotic Employer by the National Guard and Reserves
* Honored by Military Order of the Purple Heart as an American Patriot
* Honored by various American Legions for Outstanding Service
* Recognized by the U.S. Secret Service for assistance in Presidential Security Details
Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Administration – Columbia Southern University.
Law Enforcement Academy – Drury University.
F.B.I. National Academy – 216th Session Graduate.
National Sheriff’s Institute – 97th Session Graduate.
Chief Executive Leadership Program 2013 - Southern Police Institute.
Currently serving as Greene County Sheriff – the largest Sheriff’s Office in Missouri; first elected in November 2008, re-elected in November 2012 and 2016.
Chief Deputy of the Greene County Sheriff’s Office.
Captain/Lieutenant/Sergeant/Detective in the Criminal Investigations Division in the Greene County Sheriff’s Office. Patrol Deputy, Reserve Patrol Deputy.
FBI Terrorism Task Force (maintaining a Top Secret Security Clearance).